What is Labour?
- How do we know when it has started?
- When do we call our care provider or go to hospital?
- Stages of labour - early labour, active labour, transition stage, 2nd and 3rd stages of labour
- Knowing your bump and baby -Learning about amniotic fluid, placentas and your cervix
Birth Process and Active Birth
- What happens in natural Birth?
- Active birth - upright positions, walking and mobility in labour and birth, positions for easier birth
- Benefits and disadvantages with different birth positions
- Ways for support people or partners to help with pain and support you
- Happy hormones and their role in birth and the effect of fear and adrenaline on a labour -letting go!
Variations of Normal
- What is an induction and why might it be offered to us?
- What happens if we choose an induction?
- Interventions in labour - syntocinon drips, epidurals
- Benefits vs Risks of different pain relief options - epidural, pethidine, nitrous oxide gas (happy gas)
- Cascade of Intervention
- Assisted birth - vacuum, forceps birth and cesarean sections, episiotomies
- Normal behaviour after birth - the importance of skin to skin contact and the first feed
- Apgar scores
- Bathing, Injections offered - Vitamin K and Hepatitis B Vaccination.
- Feeding your baby - breastfeeding and formula feeding discussion - advantages vs disadvantages, normal breastfeeding patterns and basics of how breastfeeding works.
- Settling your newborn - wrapping, bathing, handling techniques
- What do I really need to buy for my baby?
Skills for Birth and Parenthood
- Problem Solving
- Resource knowledge
- Decision Making
- Self Awareness
Bonus follow-up class after baby is born
- Review of normal newborn behaviour
- Parenting and relationship changes
- Breastfeeding challenges and where to get further help
- Settling techniques refreshed and who to contact if difficulties arise
- Postnatal feelings - exploring Postnatal depression
- Time for reflection on Birth Journey - open discussion